LOS ANGELES (Reuters) – Disgraced former Illinois governor Rod Blagojevich said on Friday he was disappointed at being barred from taking part in a TV reality show that drops celebrities in a jungle but still hoped to help promote it.
Blagojevich, who was kicked out of office and indicted for corruption, was invited to participate in "I'm A Celebrity ... Get Me Out of Here!" -- a reality show in which 10 C-list celebrities are taken to a Costa Rican jungle and told to survive. It begins airing on the NBC network in June.
But last week a federal judge denied Blagojevich's request to travel out of the country, citing the seriousness of the charges and the possibility of flight risk.
"Of course I am disappointed, but I am going to abide by the judge's decision," the former governor said at a Los Angeles news conference to publicize the show.
"At least, if I can't participate, I can help promote it. At this point I am looking for a new line of work. This is a chance to make a living and support my little girls," he said.